Substitute Trustee

Can a substitute trustee conduct a trustee sale without recorded Deed of Appointment Substitute Trustee (SOT)?

I believe a “Substitution of Trustee” must be recorded, however, I’m not sure failure to do so would be sufficient to overturn a sale. Also note that a Substitution of Trustee is often recorded together with another document in what is known as a combo doc, so you might check other notices to see if what included, but perhaps not indexed by the county (a common county level error).