What does my representative need to bid for me at auction?

Will a simple letter signed by me suffice to allow my representative to bid for me? If the cashiers checks are made out to me, can I endorse them ahead of time? Are there any particular forms of I.D. requried? I have purchased property at the auction myself and am familiar with the process.

Hi Robin, … Good question. I haven’t looked into the technical requirements since I do my own bidding … but I’m curious to learn more as I’ve seen different protocols enforced (or not enforced as the case may be) at various county courthouse steps venues. In Marin Co the ASAP auctioneers require the person qualifying to bid on behalf of another party who is not present, produce a letter showing that the bidder is authorized to bid on behalf of the absentee party. This letter may also be required if checks are not made out in the designated bidder’s name but have been pre-endorsed (Just my guess … anyone know more about this???).

Most often the absentee partner (who often typically controls the $$) is on the cellphone providing instructions into the earpiece of the bidder (e.g. maximum allowable offer, etc.) and getting live competitive bidding updates.

The letter of authorization appears to be the key requirement to bid for an absentee party… however, I’m not sure what “legal wording” is required? Probably something as simple as “Johnny Ringo is hereby authorized to bid on behalf of Wyatt Earp and present pre-endorsed cashiers checks of behalf of Watt Earp.”

That said, I have been to county courthouse venues where the auctioneers have NOT asked “designated bidders” to produce such a letter of authorization … at least not while I was observing. It could well be that these well-known designated bidders had previously shown their letter of authorization to the auctioneer and since they were very familiar to the auctioneer, they were not asked to show this letter again? It’s my view that this “qualifying” protocol should be followed every time > Produce proper ID (e.g. drivers license), show sufficient cashiers checks, and show a letter of authorization if bidding for another absentee party (< each and every time). I know the better trained auctioneers hold to this protocol.

Thanks Danny B. I appreciate the feedback as that gives me some ideas how to word a letter of authorization and in particular, how to deal with the fact that the checks are made out to me. If anyone else has any experience with this, please advise.

You will find many auctioneers will not accept a 3rd party check. I would suggest you go to a “sample” sale with the proposed cashier’s check and letter and ask the various auctioneers if what you have in mind will fly. My guess is, at the least, he/she will need to call the office.