Just bought a Foreclosure and now I can't do an Eviction

I just bought a foreclosure property and tried a cash for keys and it was a no go.
So I call and left messages with 4 eviction lawyers only one called back. I was told because of Covid 19 evictions can not be done until 90 days after the Governor removes the state of emergency. That could be a year or two.
Any ideas on how to get the former owner to move?
I am located in California.

1 Like

Working with the occupant on cash for keys is unfortunately really your only route until the moratoriums are lifted. It is going to be a tough sell, because in their mind they are going to get free rent until the moratorium is lifted, and you complete the eviction. If you think about what rent will cost them for that period, you’ll likely start to get an idea of what they will consider a reasonable offer. Your best negotiating position is to explain to them that they will owe you rent for the entire period they remain in the property from the day you bought it, that you will get a judgement against them for that when your eviction is granted, and you will then have years to collect on it. A combination of explaining that reality, and a generous cash for keys offer is likely your best bet.

1 Like